Products and Services
Broad-based black economic empowerment (B-BBEE) verification agencies, which are accredited by SANAS, supports government’s national objective to allow for the broader participation of previously disadvantaged individuals in the mainstream economy.
- Calibration laboratories, provides metrological traceability in South Africa as stipulated in the Measurement Units and Measurement Standards Act, Act No. 18 of 2006. SANAS accredited laboratories form an integral part of the metrological chain whenever physical measurements are performed for manufacturing and exports, safety or scientific purposes, for law enforcement purposes, or to ensure that South African manufacturers remain globally competitive.
- The accreditation of Producers of Certified Reference Materials by SANAS is undertaken according to the International Standard ISO 17034. The standard outlines the general requirements for the producers of reference materials (RM’s) and Certified Reference Materials (CRM’s). RM’s and CRM’s may be used by testing and calibration laboratories at all stages of the measurement process, including method validation, calibration and quality control.
- A GLP monitoring authority inspects test facilities and conducts study audits to ascertain their degree of compliance to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) principles of Good Laboratory Practise (GLP). These principles were primarily developed to promote the quality and validity of test data used to determine the safety of chemicals and chemical products. Quality test data forms the basis for the mutual acceptance of data among countries. The application of these principles should help avoid the creation of barriers to trade and further improve the protection of human health and the environment. SANAS is the official GLP monitoring authority in South Africa.
- Medical pathology laboratories need to be credible, as their credibility is paramount to the health and safety of patients who rely on testing services they provide. Laboratory tests are an integral part of the workup of any patient and constitute up to 80% of a physician’s diagnosis and treatment choice. As medical doctors base their diagnosis on the results issued by medical laboratories, it is important that these results be accurate and reliable.
- Testing laboratories, plays a significant role in supporting the South African manufacturing, exports, and IPAP priority sectors by providing objective evidence that a product or service conforms to certain customer requirements or specifications.
- Verification laboratories (Legal metrology) protects consumers from unfair trade practices. These laboratories fall under the domain of legal metrology and perform verifications on volume, mass, and length measuring instruments in accordance with the requirements of the Legal Metrology Act and other related technical regulations to ensure reliable results. The introduction of the Legal Metrology Act, Act No. 9 of 2014 broadened the scope of accreditation to include measuring instruments in other areas such as Safety, Health, and Environment. Furthermore, the Act requires that the verification activities be separated from repair activities. This will require organisations to be accredited for both activities if they so wish.
- Blood transfusion facilities aims to provide the transfusion of safe units of blood. Accreditation plays a vital role in ensuring that the personnel involved in all the activities (donor registration, blood collection, testing, processing, and storage) of a blood transfusion service are competent and that they adhere to national and/or international standards.
- Certification bodies that are accredited by SANAS and that certify other organisations in terms of the compliance of their management systems in accordance with standards, such as that of ISO and SANS. These management systems include those for quality management (ISO 900), environmental management (ISO 14000), occupational health and safety management (ISO 18000), food safety management (ISO 22000), energy management (ISO 50001), road transport management (SANS 1395), and organic agricultural production and processing (SANS 1369). ISMS and ITSMS certification bodies also validate and verify greenhouse gas emissions of organisations and projects.
- Forensic laboratories are crucial to our criminal justice system, as they provide very useful information that aids in the investigation and prosecution of crime through the scientific examination of physical evidence.
- Inspection bodies, mainly operate in the regulatory domain where regulators, the industry, and citizens need to be confident that inspection bodies are competent to perform their duties. This is especially relevant in the case of bodies inspecting workplace health and safety requirements in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, those inspecting diagnostic imaging equipment such as medical and dental diagnostic X-ray equipment in accordance with the Hazardous Substances Act, and those inspecting compulsory standards in accordance with the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications Act. Inspection bodies also support the Green Industry Initiative through the measurement and verification of energy efficiency and the energy performance of buildings.
- Pharmaceutical laboratories, provides services to the South African pharmaceutical industry, in particular for chemical and microbiological testing. The South African pharmaceutical industry is regarded as the largest in Africa, constituting about 33% of all the pharmaceutical sales in Africa. Pharmaceutical laboratories not only supports this industry but also plays a vital role in fighting the numerous diseases that are ravaging our country, such as tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.
- Providers of Proficiency Testing (PT) Schemes may seek accreditation from SANAS according to the requirements of the international standard ISO/IEC 17043. The primary purpose of PT schemes is the evaluation of the performance of laboratories for specific tests or measurements and monitoring laboratories on-going performance, the validation of uncertainty claims, and the evaluation of the performance characteristics of a calibration, test or measurement method.
- A veterinary laboratory industry important in South Africa for the diagnosis of diseases, especially emerging diseases, such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) (mad cow disease), as well as for testing the safety of meat and other animal products.